EPISODE 38: What we should DO (not just say) in response to the refugee crisis
In this episode we discuss the refugee crisis from a Biblical perspective. We also talk about what we should DO (not just say) in response to the refugee situation. Finally, we play a game about Christmas movie quotes.
>> We discuss the refugee situation from a Biblical perspective.
>> We take a look at what Jesus says in Luke 6 and Matthew 25.
>> We talk about whether or not Jesus was speaking literally or in dramatic examples in these passages.
>> There seems to be a gap between the way that we see hurting people and the way that Jesus saw hurting people.
>> So, we need to align our minds and hearts with the mind and heart that Jesus had. The best way to do that is to act (serve, give, and love) the way that Jesus did.
>> The easiest way to align our heart with Jesus is to serve locally. Here are 7 reasons you should serve locally this Christmas season:
- It aligns our heart with the servant's heart that Jesus had.
- It creates in us a habit of serving.
- It's easier to engage because we already know the culture.
- You have more time to serve locally (especially during the Christmas season when we have breaks from school and work).
- It's inexpensive to serve locally.
- It's easier to find volunteers to join you and find organizations promoting volunteer spots.
- It practically shows family and friends the impact and power of serving.
>> When we take the time to serve locally, we better align our heart with Christ’s heart, since Jesus was all about pouring His life into the hurting and broken people around Him. And then, when we are faced with larger, more dramatic moments (like a family suffering the loss of a loved one, a refugee that just moved in the neighborhood, or a single parents struggling to make ends meet), we will be more likely to serve and love the way that Jesus would.
>> Do you have a question you want answered on the podcast? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
>> Check out our newly updated Find A Trip page!
>> Don't forget to use the coupon code we mentioned at the end of the podcast on any of our tees! They make great Christmas gifts, especially for those passionate about overseas mission work.