EPISODE 36: The dangers of having a “savior complex” during your mission trip
In this episode we discuss the dangers of having a “savior complex” during your mission trip. We also answer a listener's question about the best books to read for a 17-year-old considering a life focused on mission work.
>> Our discussion is based on our new article, The dangers of having a “savior complex” during your mission trip. In the episode we discuss five dangers:
- The savior complex elevates you above others.
- The savior complex takes away the dignity of others.
- The savior complex can create dependency.
- The savior complex encourages you to “do for” instead of “do with.”
- The savior complex is spiritually dangerous.
>> Listen to the episode to hear us unpack each danger. We also talk about the opposite of the savior complex, which is a team mentality. When we embrace a team mentality, we reduce the temptation to elevate ourselves above others or take away the dignity of the people we meet. The team mentality also discourages dependency and encourages a “do with” attitude.
>> Our listener question this week is: “Do you guys recommend any books for 17-year-olds like me that love mission work and are passionate about doing something like that in the future?” In the episode we recommend these books:
- Revolution in World Missions (FREE!)
- Cross-Cultural Servanthood
- The Shackled Continent
- Deep Justice Journeys Student Journal
- Before You Go: A Daily Devotional
>> New content this week:
- The dangers of having a “savior complex” during your mission trip
- New stickers! (Don't forget about the special offer we mentioned!)