EPISODE 30: Preparing our minds and hearts for our upcoming mission trip
In this episode we walk through a few questions to prepare spiritually for our upcoming mission trip to Honduras with Connect Global. We also answer a listener's question about how to avoid looking too much like a tourist as you travel overseas.
>> The discussion in this episode is based on questions from our Spiritual Prep page. The questions are broken up into three categories to achieve three prep goals: 1) Align your heart with the purpose 2) Embrace grace in all situations 3) Prepare to serve the people.
>> Align your heart with the purpose:
- What are some of the reasons I am serving on this trip?
- Do I have any ulterior motives for going on this mission trip? What are they?
- Based on my current motives, if I left on my trip today, what would be my primary focus throughout the trip?
- How might locals feel about my current motives?
- How might God feel about these motives?
- What is the primary purpose of the trip?
- What should I be focusing on?
- What do I need to do to genuinely align my focus with the real purpose of the trip?
>> Embrace grace in all situations
- Can I anticipate any situations on my mission trip that I may have a tough time embracing grace?
- What does it look like to respond with grace in these tough situations?
- What can I do now to prepare my mind and heart to genuinely embrace grace in every situation during mission trip?
>> Prepare to serve the people
- Think about the people you will serve. What do you think everyday life is like?
- What do you think some of their greatest needs are?
- Do you think the biggest need will be spiritual (to learn more about Jesus), or physical (to receive tangible, physical support)?
- What problems might have led to these needs?
- What might be preventing the locals from meeting these needs on their own?
- How will you try to serve and meet those needs?
- What can you do once you’re back home to help locals continue to make progress on their spiritual and physical needs?
>> New content this week:
>> Don't forget to support us by checking out our new tee, The Compass Tee. It's all about moving in a new direction: The Compass Tee.